How to continue using old versions of Skype
Beware This post is more than 3 years old, it may be outdated or incorrect! Please check elsewhere for accurate information!
Recently, Microsoft has blocked versions of Skype older than 6.14. I have severe performance problems with the latest version of Skype and I'm refusing to upgrade to their ad-filled version.
In order to be able to continue to use old versions, you need to do following:
1. Uninstall your current Skype
2. Download the latest Skype (I recommend 6.18)
3. Log in and after logging in press Win + R and type "taskkill /f /im Skype.exe" (without quotes)
4. Once again press Win + R and go to %appdata%. There you will find a folder called Skype. Copy it to your desktop.
5. Uninstall Skype 6.18.
6. Download an older version of Skype, I recommend at least 5.0.
7. After installing, Win + R and type "taskkill /f /im Skype.exe" (without quotes)
8. Press Win + R and go to %appdata%. Delete the Skype folder in there and copy the Skype folder from your desktop.
9. Open Notepad as Administrator and open "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts" (without quotes);
10. Paste the following line at the end of the file "0.0.0.0 ui.skype.com"
11. Search for cmd and run as Administrator. The type in "ipconfig /flushdns" and close cmd.
12. Finally, open your old version of Skype. It should work, and from time to time it may nag you to update but DON'T! Also Skype Home will nag you to update but ignore it.
Enjoy the familiar old version of Skype!